Say you have a towel (or other exploit) rooted Nexus 5, Android 4.4.4, with locked boot loader, careful setup and data. Lollipop OTA knocks at the door. You want it. You realize: I WILL LOOSE ROOT. You could use chainfire’s auto root. You realize: I WILL LOOSE DATA. Damned.
Disclaimer: Lolli colors might make your kittens escape into microwave oven. Check. Your business. Not mine.
Ok, so this is how to go:
- Unlock your boot loader from the INSIDE. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.segv11.bootunlocker&hl=en
- Install the OTA update. Takes a while. Brings colors. And, er, bugs. Facebook app to hell. 100% weird.
- Enable USB Debugging. Oh my gosh! http://www.kingoapp.com/root-tutorials/how-to-enable-usb-debugging-mode-on-android-5-lollipop.htm
- Reboot 2 times. Bugs getting better (aha!)
- Download CF-Auto-Root, follow instructions. http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/#fastboot (I’ve modified the script a bit, because I’m sort of paranoid. Commented out the line that unlocks the boot loader. But should be fine without doing so, as it’s already unlocked)
- Optional/recommended: relock your boot loader for safety.
Done. Have fun. Facebook fine after un- and reinstalling.